Summer is here and it’s waxing season! Whether you are waxing for an itty-bitty bikini, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, or yourself, Brazilian waxing can be one of the most painful waxing experiences a person can go through. However, it doesn’t have to be so bad. Here are some tips to make sure waxing your pleasure parts can be a little less painful . . .
1. Trim before your appointment: Your hair only needs to be between ¼ - ½ inch long. Anything longer will increase the tugging of the hair and create more pain for your precious lady bits. You can use a trimmer with a guard so you don’t trim too far.
2. Take an ibuprofen at least 30 minutes before your appointment: It’s a pain reliever. You will experience pain. Enough said.
3. Use a numbing cream: There are a few numbing creams out there and also numbing panties that you can put on 20 minutes before your appointment. Because nothing feels better than being comfortably numb (down there) when getting your pubes yanked out.
4. Lend a hand: While your esthetician is doing their best, they only have two hands. Helping your esthetician by pulling your skin taut in places they might not be able to will reduce the tugging of the skin and hair, and thus reducing pain.
5. Lay off the latte: Caffeine is a stimulant and oddly makes your skin more sensitive, so skipping caffeine before your appointment is better than stopping by Starbucks on the way in.
6. Got your period? Come back next week: When you have your period, your vulva is swollen and more sensitive than usual. It is best to not torture yourself any further by making waxing appointments during this time.
7. Inhale and exhale: No, I’m not suggesting smoking a doobie. But don’t forget to breathe. When you are tense and holding your breath, you are actually creating more tension in your body by anticipating pain. The best thing you can do is relax. When your esthetician is ready to pull, exhale at the same time they are pulling and ahhhh…it will all be over soon!